Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I am a member of the Church of Christ. For some reason (I know the reason, and if you moaned internally when you read the first sentence, the you know the reason also) people have a terrible stigma against the CoC. Apparently, a long time ago, the CoC did something HORRIFICALLY UNFORGIVEABLE so that no one can ever accept the words "Im with the Church if Christ" without rolling their eyes and saying something like "oh, youre one of them" or "ooooh boy". Ive had two co-workers ask me what denomination I am, and both have said variations on the theme.

It really does make my stomach hurt to have this kind of response. What difference does it make that 100 years ago the Baptists and the Church if Christ started some retarded rivalry that continues still? Im so sick of labels. Moreover, Im sick of double standards. Sure, you can slander me into the ground, but if I say something that can be construed as such, its definite proof that the Church of Christ is a worthless, hollow organization not worthy of anyones time. I remember in high school having debates with Baptists (I have nothing, and I do meaning nothing, against Baptists--my sister married one) where they started off by telling me I was wrong. I gave them my proof for what I believe is doctrine, and they replied by saying that I suggested that Revelations was not divinely-inspired, which was fifty billion miles from what I had just said. I even visited both (there were two guys I often talked with) of their churches but they never made the effort to visit mine, because, well, that a capella singing is just too boring.

Point 1: I love a capella singing.
Point 2: I loathe denominations. Its the most un-Christlike thing that the Christians have ever done. This idea of "what I think holds sway over the Church" is a total crock. Its downright Pharisaical.
Point 3: Do people sigh and moan and roll their eyes at Baptists, or Presbyterians, or Mormons, or Muslims or Hindus or even freakin' cultists? No.
Point 4: I think every "notable" reason for church splits could easily be sorted out if people took the Bible for what it was instead of making crap up and filling in holes that arent there, and reading between lines that dont require reading into. "Love your neighbor" is pretty straightforward.
Point 5: Im really sick of the Church of Christ coming through the windows simply because the Baptists come through the doors, and vice versa. My sisters marriage has been a learning experience to say the least.

Okay, I feel better.

2 Comments:

Blogger rambouillet said...

Amen amen. *sigh* Can't we all just go home?

12:29 PM  
Blogger Demosthenes said...

I agree - I am frustrated both because people have negative pre-dispositions about the church of Christ AND because we've somewhat earned it. But you're right that we take the brunt of being known as the ones who think "we're the only ones going to heaven" - which I am not sure was ever claimed by anyone - but ALL the denominations do this.

I was talking to a Pentecostal guy the other day and he started talking about his converstion and his "fire" and I realized that he wasn't simply spouting an anecdote, he was PREACHING to me. And at some point I realized he was actually trying to EVANGELIZE me to "convert" to his church because he perceived that since I did not have the same "fire" and emotion as he did that I must not really be saved. Yeah we're the only ones. I'm so sure.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home