Saturday, April 08, 2006

Memories of a time long past

Im going to write the songs Im listening to as I post--(Deep Purple, Woman from Tokyo)

I miss my old truck. My first vehicle was a '90 single cab long bed Chevy Silverado with an excess of muscle and really loud straight pipes. Ah, she was a masculine dream, a metallic maroon monster sent from Heaven to help me cope with the overwhelming idiocy of colloquial New Mexico life. It was fast, had a lovely low rumble, hauled whatever I put in it (which was quite alot, my dad commandeered it quite often for home usage), and had a bench seat. Air conditioning? Who needs it? Ive got power windows!
(Judas Priest, Breaking the Law)
Im not sure what made me think of that truck. I had it for a year and a half, and I remember I sold it to an elderly Mexican gentleman who needed a reliable vehicle to haul equipment with, and my baby could take whatever he threw at her. I almost cried when I sold it, but I felt it was necessary since I was going to school two states away. I replaced it with a '95 Z71 my uncle Tim owned that my grandfather gave me for a super price as a graduation present. Unfortunately, it got 9 miles to the gallon and had a ruined transmission. Im sure alot of that had to do with the way Timbo drove that truck (like a bat out of hell, which made me happy when I was riding with him), and I had to sell it also. It wouldve cost me more to fix it up to reliable standards than it wouldve to buy a new one, which was what I did.
(BB King, Get Off My Back Woman)
I bought a white 2000 Chevy Silverado, which Ive put 30k miles on since August of 2004. Its a good truck, but I feel Ive overextended myself. I suppose its a little guilt problem; I look back at what my parents drove at my age and feel a little pang, like I shouldnt be doing better. They seemed perfectly content with what they had, but then again it might just be the taint of memory that makes it seem so rosy. I guess thats what you call progress, me having a nice vehicle.
(Theory of a Dead Man, No Surprise)
I just have this sneaking compulsion to sell my truck and get an older one I can afford and blow all my money on. Like getting Flowmasters and that kind of thing. Its also a little nostalgia butting its way in, and I wonder if it would be as satisifying as it seems (which I truly doubt), but Ive rambled enough for now and feel content that I can stop this post. Thanks for listening to my expulsion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home