Thursday, June 29, 2006

King of Torts

Let me preface this post with a story: the other day at work (thats all I do: WORK WORK WORK....do I have a social life? noooope) someone broke one of the fold out tables we use to set shipments on. It was a simple fix--the table leg popped out of its recess, and a little plastic busted in the process. Nothing duck tape wont fix in half a second. Of course, everyone thought this was a ludicris (sp?) idea. Why fix it? Just buy another. Hmmm, says I.

I grew up in a family that scrounged furniture. We never made a trip to the dump without bringing something back that eventually found its way into the house. A little paint, spit polish, and TLC, and BAMO free furniture. The guys at work thought it was hysterical that I would ever consider picking up a chair or something off the sidewalk when someone put it out to be trashed. Screw them. Heres my conundrum...

Im tired of being broke. Ive been broke my whole friggin life. No money, hand me down clothes, hand me down....everything. Im not complaining (wait, yes I am!) because I suppose Ive gained valuable skills and whatnot. But I want to be so stupid rich that I cant spend all my money. Id give it all away. Id give it to hobos and panhandlers and people working at Sack n' Save because I know working sucks. Ive never given in to materialism--I suppose fighting it constantly has made me weaker to it--like Nietsche (WHATEVER) says, stare long into the abyss and the abyss stares back into you. At least I think it was Nietsche. Its just that I notice these absolute scumbag jerks driving Porsches and it makes me want to punch them. In fact, I just really want to punch SOMEBODY!

4 Comments:

Blogger Alisa said...

If I knew how to rehab used furniture to make it look better and functional, I would totally snag stuff.

I love garage sale shopping for just this reason. Cheap books, Cheap knick knacks, and cheap furniture.

5:04 AM  
Blogger rambouillet said...

I don't know how to get rich. I wish I did. I wouldn't have to worry about bills and I could write a check to whomever needed it. Ah... that would be cool.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Frustrated Writer said...

i say we go down and pound on a few porsches punks, pronto!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Demosthenes said...

Of course Nietsche was also the guy who had the mistaken impression that God had died. I wonder if he is still under that impression. :)

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home